The BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina Foundation (www.bcbsscfoundation.org) has recently awarded a $120,000 grant to SCANPO to support SCANPO’s efforts to expand awareness among South Carolina’s nonprofits on the influence of the non-health factors that influence health, including education, community safety and family and social support.
“BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina has been a strong advocate for SCANPO’s mission and work for many years, joining as a Business Partner, sponsoring the Nonprofit Summit, providing strategic board leadership and so much more,” said Madeleine McGee, president of SCANPO. “We are thrilled to have this opportunity to now begin working with the BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina Foundation.”
“To improve our state’s health, we must improve people’s opportunities to be healthier in the places where they live, learn, work and play,” explained Madeleine. “This is the everyday work of the entire nonprofit sector. They just may not realize the connection.”
The Foundation’s investment will allow SCANPO to assess the need and opportunity to educate nonprofits on the role they could have in improving the overall health of their communities, making health a shared value across organizations and ultimately creating a culture of health across the state.
“We aim to expand awareness of the factors that influence health among the 80 percent of nonprofits whose missions are centered outside of the health arena,” continued Madeleine. “By making this a conversation in which all nonprofits participate, we seek to increase collaboration and engagement needed to advance community health in South Carolina.”
Next month’s 2017 SC Nonprofit Summit will offer participants the chance to address the topic of health within their communities through these thought-provoking sessions:
· SC’s Culture of Health: Our Sector’s Responsibility with Monica Hobbs Vinluan and Terri Theisen
· Understanding the Social Determinants of Health (And Why They Should Matter to Every Nonprofit) with Maya Pack
· Midlands Healthcare Collaborative with Cheryl Johnson Benjamin
· Collaborating: Welcoming All to the Table with Pam Toney and Lisa Hayes
· Healthy Insights: Public Data and the Social Determinants of Health with Lowell Atkinson and Sarah Pinson
· Building Capacity for Community Integrated Health with Amanda Metzger and MJ Pierce
To learn more about the Summit and register your team, visit the Summit site today!
Headquartered in Columbia, S.C., BlueCross® BlueShield® of South Carolina and the BlueCross® BlueShield® of South Carolina Foundation are both independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.